Friday, December 10, 2010

The Police May Be Looking For Me.......

Yesterday, Louie's preschool class visited the Cincinnati Museum Center for a field trip.  Part one of the field trip was the visit Holiday Junction, a holiday train display at one of the muesums. 

Louie LOVES trains, so part one of the field trip was great!
He was in absolute wonder at so many trains!  So much to see!!

Beloved Thomas the Tank, Annie and Clarabell

There was a very short time to look at the trains, and then it was time to make our way back upstairs for part two of the field trip.  All the classes were to preform together part of their upcoming Christmas program.  This is where it all went down hill.

Louie informed me that we was his stomache hurt and he would not be able to preform.  Much whinning, crying, and boo hooing followed.

Since there was such  a short time to see the trains, I told the girls and Louie that after the preschool performance we would go back down to see the trains again.  I also offered them the option of going to Children's Museum for a short time before we heading home.  The girls decided they wanted to go to the Children's Museum and we started to make out way to the elevator.  Louie had an amazing recovery and was anxious to go play.

I then explained to Louie that since he was "sick" he would have to sit by me instead of playing.  Cue the tears.......  I knew this was going to be challenging, but what happened for the next hour was much more than I anticipated.

Louie cried all the way down the elevator, he rolled around on the floor crying for a good 30 minutes.  At this point an employee of the museum began walking past me at regular intervals.  I suppose she thought I had done something to him, but this little tantrum was ALL him!

Now it was time to go home.  I tried to put his coat on him, as he was rolling on the floor ( as a horrified father looked on).  It is about 20 degrees out, so how could I not put his coat on him?  He refused to put his arms in the armholes. He had kicked off his cowboy boots it the middle of his fit and I put them back on him.  He had them off as quick as I had them on him.  I stuffed the boots and the coat in the stroller.  I knew what was going to happen next and it was going to be ugly!!!

I got the girls all ready to go, bundled up the baby, and then gave instructions to the girls.  I told them I needed their help, and they needed to be ready to help me.

It is now time to pick up my 33lb 3 year old and head to the van.  The battle was ON.  So I carried my boy out of the Children's Museum on to the elevator, out through the lobby, and then down the parking lot to the van as he kicked and yelled and screamed the entire way. This was the longest 10 minutes of my life!

Onlookers were simply amazed, I am sure, at my lack of mother skills at this point.  If they only knew the whole story. But I could see no other options than taking him out thrown over my shoulder.  All the while people are staring at me, the crazy lady. 

The picture of me carrying this child in the cold with no coat on, no shoes on, screaming his head off was just ugly! 

Let me just say, Louie is an EXTREMELY intelligent 3 year old.  He was playing me, and he wanted to see if I was going to back down.  Which I COULD NOT do.  Once the challenge is on, you have to follow through.

He cried and kicked and screamed all the way home.

So Louie chose consequences instead of blessings yesterday.

I feel as if I wrestled with a hog.

And the police may be knocking on my door any minute to see if Louie is OK.

No comments:

Post a Comment